Reflections on Occupation: “The Battle of the Brooklyn Bridge”

October 3rd, 2011. Day 16. Despite the rain and ever-creeping cold, activists continue to occupy Liberty Plaza; slowly coalescing demands, continuing to debate and love and dance. The sheer energy of this movement is utterly undeniable. Occupations, though mostly small in scale, have sprouted up in multiple cities around the country and more are planned as October rolls into the end of 2011. There is a sense in the square now that this is real. The gravity and electricity of what we’re building here is bouncing off the buildings all around us. We all feel more alive. There are incredible ups and downs. Elation can very suddenly plunge into abject frustration, and then turn sharply upward again.

Case in point: Saturday’s march over the Brooklyn Bridge. Truly one of the most amazing experiences of my life. I was one of the 700 marchers ketteled and arrested en-mass by the NYPD on that famed expanse of stone and steel. It began at Liberty Plaza, where thousands gathered to rally in solidarity with the occupation. From there, we marched through the streets of the Financial District and toward City Hall. At the outset the march was united and organized, with none of the weaving through traffic and violent pepper-spray scuffles with police that marked the march of a week earlier. We were determined to get to our destination together this time – just over the Brooklyn Bridge to Brooklyn Bridge park where another contingent would be waiting for us with food, speakers, and activities. Or at least that was the plan. I was toward the back of marching crowd of some 2,000 people when we arrived at the bridge only a few blocks from Liberty Plaza. The exact details of what happened next are still fuzzy to most. The planned route was for marchers to use the pedestrian walkway to cross the bridge, but at some point a contingent of marchers broke away and took to the roadway, walking past a slew of cars already caught up in the spectacle of the march. Once the initial crowd of protesters marched onto the road, some 500 or more followed, most (including myself) not knowing that they were risking arrest by doing so.

The NYPD claims that they warned the initial group that stormed the road that doing so would mean arrest, but in reality they did little to deter us. In fact, I assumed that they were clearing the pathway for us because there was simply no way 2,000 people were going to use the pedestrian walkway at once. Once on the roadway, we were ecstatic. It was like no other feeling. Here we were, walking with 500 other people over one of the world’s most iconic structures. We chanted “Who’s bridge? Our bridge!” We drummed loudly and waved fists in the air in solidarity with the marchers 20 feet above us on the pedestrian walkway. Then suddenly, before we had even reached the first stone tower, the march came to a screeching halt. Nobody was really sure what was going on. I couldn’t see far enough ahead of me to know that the police had formed a blockade with the same orange nets they used at Union Square the week before. When I looked behind me and saw yet another line of police approaching, I knew that things had suddenly taken a turn for the worse. It wasn’t long before they had surrounded us with orange netting and panic overtook the crowd suspended hundreds of feet in the air over the East River on a slab of concrete.

Some 40 feet higher still the marchers who had used the pedestrian walkway luckily had a bird’s eye view of what was going on. Using the people’s microphone, they kept us updated on what was going on. I could feel the intensity of situation but also felt a wave of calm and solidarity. Like some ragged guardian angels, our fellow protesters were keeping on eye on us, telling us what was happening on either side of us, and livestreaming it all to 30,000 people around the world. We anxiously repeated their updates verbatim. “Mic check! It looks like they have surrounded you on both sides and they’re not letting anyone through. The best thing for you to do is to sit down and lock arms!” And so we did.

We spent the next eight hours in anxious limbo. We waited for what seemed like an eternity on the bridge for the police to arrest each and every one of us. They grouped us in fives and cuffed us, then put us on any vehicle they could – I was put with about 30 others on an MTA bus and taken to the 90th Precinct in Bushwick, Brooklyn. Once we arrived at the station we sat on the bus and kept waiting, this time for the police to process the inordinate amount of arrestees. As we waited, all manner of conversations erupted on the bus between protesters – gender rights (the police had separated us by gender before arresting us), organic farming, community organizing – the usual fare at an activist gathering. It was something of a party. Even our arresting officers engaged us in conversations, and they seemed genuinely interested in “what we’re all about.” Some were even borderline sympathetic! Others poked fun at our dreadlocks and discussions about GMO foods. “A tomato’s a tomato, don’t matter how it got there.” One officer, who as one protester later jested was “too Italian for his own good,” was especially talkative. He told us he agreed with the Verizon worker’s strike and was disappointed when they returned to work without a deal. I asked if he would arrest the strikers if he was given the orders to do so. He responded with a smirk and said “yeah, it’s my job.”

Inside the station, more waiting. First to be searched, then to be put in a one-person cell with 5 or 6 others. We passed the time singing and starting conversations about our lives outside of the occupation. After a while, an officer came by with cheese sandwiches and water and promised us we’d be out “in one or two hours.” Three and half hours later, close to 3:00am, we were finally released into the cold night air. It was heart-warming to find a group of people from the occupation and the National Lawyer’s Guild waiting for us.

A group of us took the J train back to Liberty Plaza, laughing and recounting the whole way. 6 hours earlier, we had no idea the other existed, now we were the best of friends. This is what the NYPD doesn’t understand. The more they arrest us, the more solidarity they create between us. We built a community on that bridge and on that bus and in that cell. All of us went through this experience that was dehumanizing, but also jovial and absurd. All the arrests did was reinforce our resolve, commit us more to the occupation and make us even more connected.

I remember during the intense moments on the bridge when we all knew arrest was imminent someone yelled out and we repeated: “Mic check! It is an honor and a privilege to be arrested with you all today. 50 years from now, when you tell your grandkids about this, you can say that you were a soldier in the Battle of the Brooklyn Bridge!” And there among the tears and the worries and the panic, we found a place to cheer and stand together.

Here’s a great video on what happened on the bridge:

Reflections on Occupation: “Now this is real”

9/26/11 – 11:13pm

The occupation of Wall Street is in its 10th day. Our numbers have bolstered and momentum continues to build. Occupants continue to work around the clock making media, cleaning, meeting, discussing and dreaming. On Saturday 9/24 over a thousand people marched in solidarity from Liberty Plaza to Union Square. We are drawing members from organizations and movements from around the country and the world to this liberated square in the center of the world’s economic engine. I’ve talked to folks from Colorado, Chicago, California, Spain, Iran – this is truly a global movement and everyday a constant stream of people come and go and mix up the culture of ideas present here. We have started a “People’s Library” and are holding more and more teach-ins about activism and nonviolence. We are still holding two General Assemblies daily and discussing in a completely transparent and democratic process what our next steps should be. The air is thick with conversation even late into the night, and a walk through Liberty Plaza with open ears reveals the diversity of thought and opinion here.

The situation with the police remains mostly non-confrontational, with a few major exceptions, namely with Saturday’s march. About 100 were arrested on that day alone and a few were even pepper sprayed in the streets. After the march arrived at Union Square, the NYPD deployed large orange nets and trapped about 50 marchers on 12th Street between 5th Ave and University Place. All were subsequently arrested and held in city buses until their arraignment. It is a supremely dehumanizing tactic – the activists here refer to it as “kettling” - where marchers exercising their basic right to free speech and assembly are rounded-up en-mass, no questions asked. I myself narrowly avoided being caught in one these nets. Many of the activists feel that these arrests could have been avoided if the march had been better planned. There was some confusion as to what would happen next when we arrived at Union Square. One group of marchers wanted to continue to the UN some 40 blocks uptown, while others wanted to return to Liberty Plaza. This gave the NYPD ample time to swarm around us and deploy their nets. Even the march itself felt a bit chaotic, winding against traffic and turning seemingly at random to our destination. The issue, of course, has been brought up at GA and hopefully a better plan of action will be implemented next time. When those arrested return to Square, the people erupt in applause and chant “Welcome home.”

Frayed nerves and high tensions overtook the Plaza on Saturday night as the police presence suddenly exploded. A line of police cars and paddy-wagons could be seen stretching for blocks down Broadway and what seemed like hundreds of police officers with plastic handcuffs hanging from their belts surrounded the park, ready to sweep through with nets and batons. A mild panic ensued, fed partially by the events on the streets earlier that day and a round of notices of “acceptable behavior” distributed to occupants and posted around the Plaza by officials earlier that morning. Emergency evacuation plans were announced during GA. Many of us were sure that it would be our last night in Liberty Plaza. We were ready to be arrested or relocate. Speculation was pouring from every corner of the Plaza that 10pm would be the time when they moved in. We lit candles and placed them around the perimeter of the park and drummed and danced louder than ever. But 10pm came and went and gradually the impenetrable wall of blue and white and flashing lights dissipated quietly. We’re still not exactly sure what happened, but we are thankful.

On Sunday we all turned into temporary shrinks. There were no marches, and the GAs were mostly short and to-the-point. It was a collective unwinding day. We talked and reflected about the previous day, and wondered why we had been so brutalized on the street and then spared later that night in the Plaza. Was it the less-than-PR-friendly media coverage (finally) of the violent arrests? Was it the owners of the Plaza that called off the raid? The NYPD itself, or maybe the City? We didn’t know, but we were healing by doing what we do best – talking it out. Eventually our healing gave way to food and drums and dancing. Reflecting with a new friend, I asked what he thought Saturday’s arrests and close call meant for the occupation. He looked at me with sincere eyes and said “It means that now this is real.”

Album Art

Radio Provocateur: Toward a Nonviolent Climate
First aired August 29th, 2011

Over the past two weeks Washington DC has been the sight of one of the largest acts of civil disobedience in recent memory. Thousands of activists have descended on the city, staging a huge sit-in in front of the White House to urge President Obama not to grant a “presidential permit” for a Canadian company, TransCanada, to begin construction of the Keystone XL, a 1,700 mile pipeline from the Canadian tar sands to refineries on the Gulf of Mexico. So far 522 activists have been arrested, and our guest on this episode is one of them.

Eric Stoner is a writer based in New York, and editor of the blog Waging Nonviolence. Join us for a report-back on the action, and a discussion about activism and nonviolence.

ArtistRadio Provocateur
TitleToward a Nonviolent Climate
AlbumRadiohive Collective <>
Album Art

Radio Provocateur: (A) Jewish Voice For Peace
First aired June 13th, 2011

In the midst of the “Arab awakening,” we turn the spotlight on one of the seemingly eternal conflicts in the Middle East: the Israeli/Palestinian conflict. Rebecca Vilkomerson, director of Jewish Voice for Peace, gives us a (brilliantly brief) history of the conflict and breaks down JVP’s strategy to make tangible change: boycott, divestment, and sanctions

ArtistRadio Provocateur
Title(A) Jewish Voice For Peace
AlbumRadiohive Collective
Album Art

Radio Provocateur: On The Commons
First aired February 28th, 2011

Much hoopla has been made about the role of Facebook & Twitter in the revolutions in the Middle East & even in Wisconsin, but we’re forgetting that what has always tipped the scale is people occupying public space with their bodies. We’re joined by Jay Walljasper of On the Commons, and get a sermon from Reverend Billy Talen all in celebration & exploration of The Commons!

ArtistRadio Provocateur
TitleOffline: The Commons in Modern Life
AlbumRadiohive Collective <>
Album Art

Radio Provocateur: We The Corporations?
First aired May 30th, 2011

Radio Provocateur hosts David Cobb - 2004 Green Party presidential candidate and leader of Move To Amend, a coalition supported by hundreds of organizations and tens of thousands of individuals dedicated to amending the constitution to end corporate personhood.

ArtistRadio Provocateur
TitleWe The Corporations?
AlbumRadiohive Collective
Album Art

Radio Provocateur: Over The Rainbow
First aired June 27th, 2011

A report-back from a serendipitous night, in which your host just happened to be in front of the birthplace of the gay rights movement in full drag when the New York State Legislature legalized gay marriage. Hear the voices of the Drag March and reaction bill’s passing from Stonewall.

ArtistRadio Provocateur
Title6/27/11: Over The Rainbow
AlbumRadiohive Collective